Friday, April 25, 2014

Welcome to Our Remodel

About 6-8 months ago, the Mister and I were on a walk in our area and I fell in love with a new home under construction.  I loved the layout, I loved the lot, I loved the little extras like a shed built into the floorplan that was only accessible from the back yard (HELLO, outside tools stored where they are needed vs in the garage.)  So we started discussing moving.  Would we want to, we have a great lot do we want to give that up, we'd have to start over with our garden, painting rooms, etc.  Then we looked into the builder and comparative homes they had built in the area and we said "HECK NO!"  We had discussed how much additional debt we would be willing to take on for a new house and this house exceeded our number by quite a bit.  For some reason property values are ridiculously high in this area, and for me, it's disappointing especially considering the quality of the homes.  Having only lived in custom built houses for the past 20 years, it's really depressing to me when I see what you pay here for the quality of what you get.  So, we decided to move to plan B: what could we do to our current home to make it "better."  Now you have to realize there is nothing physically wrong with our home, but the Mister picked it out 8 years ago and I don't love it.   It's close enough to being paid for though that I am more than willing to work with it and make it ours vs the standard tract home that it is currently. Plus, we have an amazing back yard, no direct neighbors, and a county park/greenbelt behind our house.  So for city/subdivision living, we have the location location location part at a premium.  Oh, and it's almost paid for...I think I mentioned that.  :-)

So step one in our journey is a kitchen remodel.  We have long talked about wanting to put in a tankless hot water heater (I had one previously and loved it) and we wanted to move to a gas cooking stove.  2 sinks so we can both work without annoying the other was a desire, as well as a double-oven so I can make cornbread more often (since it bakes at a higher temperature than everything else.)  We're going to be doing some fun things with the space, getting some new appliances, having some fun organizational items built into a command center, etc. I will try to update this space often as I expect there will be some days we see lots of change and some days it may be nothing, but I want to look back when this is done and in the years to come and see how it evolved.  I hope you enjoy following this journey a little big, as we are enjoying the idea of what is to come a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment